We purchased a new home in Garrison Manor, Mechanicsville, VA. Moved in September 15, 2017.

When we first looked at the lot it was a completely flat lot. Due to medical issues we requested this lot because of the flatness. Our backyard has a 4 feet drop in it now from the deck to the fence. Two days prior to moving in, I rode by the property in the morning and the yard had not been graded, but by noon the sod was going in.

The yard was not finely graded because my husband rode by late morning. The sod was laid with a 2 inch gap between each piece. We have rolling hills. My husband has MS and cannot even walk in his own yard.

The project manager, was informed many, many, many times. The last we spoke with him was 4 weeks ago, he said he would have the landscaper and sod company come out to have a meeting with us. To this day, no phone calls, no contact of any nature. Two new homes have been built directly beside us and their yards are terrible, as well.

We have many neighbors who have made complaints, but to no avail. I have fallen 3 times myself and I do not have walking issues. We have 2 dogs that I need to clean up after and struggle.

We were told by the project manager that we need to wait until the fall to plug holes in the ground and seed over, at our expense because it would be 1 year. What we need is the sod removed, graded, new sod put down properly!!.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Efforts taken to fix a defect.

Comments

I had also went through a bad experience with Ryan and sold my home. I did learn quite a bit from that experience and new developments.

While I wanted a new home for the warranty and newness, I never stopped to consider a resale. Resales have an advantage in that what you see in the development and home is already there. No more promised tennis courts that never end up being installed. The landscaping is already there and no surprises regarding the grading.

If I still had my heart set on a brand new community I would do two important things. First find out who the developer is that is allowing a certain builder to put up houses on that property. Is he reputable. Check out other projects and developments that he had completed and talk to members of that community.

Did he, the developer put in every amenity that he said he would? Secondly, I would check out developments that the builder had already completed in the area and ask the residents what they think about their home and the builder that built it. When you question the residents in a new development that you are considering your bound to get the wrong feedback because these people want you to buy there so the builder doesn't leave and want to protect their investment. You also have the misery likes company types or the fact that problems or defects haven't occurred yet because the home is brand new and they haven't been there long enough for the paint to dry.

Go to one of the builders communities that are a couple of years old and talk to those people. They have nothing to win or lose and will be more truthfully about the builder and their experiences with the home. I made the mistake of wanting brand new in a world where company profit is more important than quality. In a resale there are no surprises.

What you see and the stores and surrounding areas are there. No lies about a greenery area that's promised to stay that way but subsequently doesn't.