Ryan Homes Reviews

Show reviews that mention
home house ryan home homes ryan issues people quality water construction
Filter review

RYAN HOMES LIES

I purchased my home a few years ago from Ryan Homes on what they called a premium wooded lot. My project manager even told me there were protected wet lands behind me and my survey even indicated protected woods on MY property. Soon after closing, they all came down for another development. The survey, project manager and sales people are all LIES! They will do anything for a sale! And by the way, if you build a Ryan Home, it comes complete with CARDBOARD MOULDING! Found that out when I had new countetops put in. I will never build another Ryan Home again.

Get a lawyer

ID
#142061 Review #142061 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Buffalo, New York

Ryan Homes Allows the Salespeople to Lie with no Punishment

The word condo was in the paperwork but they told us to disregard that because it was legal jargon and any home in our township with an HOA was technically a condo. Not true. Now we find out we don't own our land but we maintain it!! 15 people complained to corporate and they pointed out the line in the contract that says not to rely on verbal statements. Don't allow them to explain the paperwork! Get a lawyer to explain it to you!!! They also told some people up the street that their road would soon be made into a cul-de-sac and now they are finding out it is actually going to be extended to a busy road near the highway! This will make their street a short cut to the highway for the whole city and they have small children so they wanted to be on a quiet street. They will do anything to get you to buy.

They don't allow them to lie, they teach them how if anything. Their sales people knowingly and willingly lie.

Nothing they "say" matters at all.

If we all could wear a wire, and maybe secret surveillance video while talking with the sales staff or loan rep, maybe their word would be worth something. After you're sold they'll straight up tell you, it's your fault you bought the lies.

Columbus, Ohio

Ryan homes still finding fault 3 years later

Ryan homes, a name you can trust. Hah! New to the USA and the housing market we researched and found that in our area oh Ohio Ryan had the least complaints. We signed up and moved on 31st Dec. The house was nowhere near complete. The building inspector would not pass the house on completion day until 5pm. We had nowhere to live after giving up our apt and were sat in the truck outside the house all day. Furniture being delivered had to be left on the driveway. The fridge was even still in the box in the garage while they finished the kitchen. That was the beginning. After moving in we found so many faults that we had builders in every day for a month. Nothing major we thought at the time but lots of annoyances. Ceilings not put into cupboards, vents drywalled over or rooms not vented at all. Furnace in roof space the wrong way round so we were expected to crawl around it to change filters. AC units that had not been connected when it came time to use them. Holes in floors that had been carpeted over. Windows that leaked, Garden that kept subsiding in rain. A window put where they should have been a floor to ceiling stone fireplace, which we actually prefer now!! And, the icing on the cake, when I had the back garden surveyed to estimate for landscaping I was told that the driveway had been poured onto the next door plot. We had to have the whole driveway dug up and moved 12 feet over thereby losing most of our front lawn and we are still fighting in court for compensation. If you look at the house from the front, it looks symmetrical but look closer and you can see that the shutters on one window are narrower. On asking the builder he told us that the house had been poured incorrectly and that the front is off centre. Nothing can be done about it now but we have lost 2 feet of dining room. Again, still being fought in court. To be fair to Ryan, their project manager at the time for our sub division did ensure that the majority of the faults were corrected in a timely manner, but for a house bought for over $500,000.00 it is a mess. I would never buy a new house from anyone ever again in this country after this experience. Pre packed on a low loader like flat packed furniture with workers who are not time served and then a mortgage which is over the top and cannot be refinanced because of the recession, we are left with a white elephant that is lovely to look at, but a nightmare to live in.

Clearly you have the HighGrove and so do we. Until last night we didn't even realize the ceiling had a furnace in it.

Well, until it began leaking real bad!

Major ceiling damage and this is a holiday weekend… we will be reaching out to Ryan. It's sad as heck!

I would say the issue is standing behind your product and having a system in place to ensure quality construction in the first place....not illegal immigrants.

if you buy a house in this country again? I certainly don't. If companies would stop using ignorant illegal aliens then a lot of these issues would cease to exist.

View more comments (2)
Cincinnati, Ohio

Ill mannered marketing staff

We were looking for a Single Family Home in Kirkpactrick Farms, Aldie VA.When we had made our mind to buy the house, we started negotiating the price but we were told that unless we are willing to sign the contract, they will not negotiate on the price. For them, negotiating on price before entering into a contract was shear wastage of time. The exact words they mentioned were " If you are looking for *** price then its wastage of your and our time.If you're willing to sign the contract, only then we will talk about the price." The way they communicated was so impolite and uncivil that we had to leave their premises there and then. So Beware of the unpolished and poor staff of ryan homes.

I am in Sales and I could understand why the rep would not want to get into negotiating without knowing if the customer was serious. I deal everyday with people who are time wasters because the are just looking for a "Good Deal" and are not looking for the product they really like and will enjoy.

They walk into my store and leave the door open walking right past me. They demand to have their questionsed answered but are unwilling to answer any of my questions.

After agreeing to a price they try to negotiate again. I could see the sales person being short and to the point.

I looked at a Ryan home the other day and this is what I found. The service rep did not know her stuff .

She gave us wrong info. The model displayed showed all the optional features. Take away the optional features you then have a square box with a garage. there was a patio out back.

it was not level at all. In fact the left side was 6 " higher then the right.

the steps slanted down. not safe!

View more comments (1)
Herndon, Virginia
Our Ryan home was built with Patriot brand windows. The windows are "thin," don't fit the openings properly, and have no edge insulation. Wind came in around most of the windows and we could not keep the house cool in the summer or warm in the winter....

How do you even get a Patriot Window? They do not sell for retail.

My broken window is not under warranty and I need a window replacement. Who does the replacement? Ryan?

Individual contractor? Who?

Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Ryan Homes Buyer Beware- Our Experience

Ryan Homes a Name You Cannot trust! For far too long I have waited in the wings while my Significant Other, has posted technical details of our Builder’s defect, a home built by Ryan homes. I have never stepped up to the limelight to expose the emotional devastations of what living through this is like. I thought it would consume me, but watching Ryan feast on their wealth with no regard for the lives of those that trusted them to build them a safe secure home, this is an insidious injustice that simply mustn't be allowed to continue to families all around the United States. This is not some hypothetical of what it would be like, this is what really happened in our lives as a direct result of Ryan Homes building me a home with a hidden defect that would eventually develop into 7 different kinds of toxic molds, and usher in illness, financial devastation and losses to this day, we are far from recovery. Some parts our lives now just gone, lost in the aftermath forever. Those happy with their current Ryan Homes, God Bless you, count your blessings, but don’t even bother to comment to me about complaining. This is not about complaining. This is about culpability and reckless abandonment from a Builder my Father entrusted right before we lost him unexpectedly, to build me my first home, so he would have peace of mind that I would have a home if anything should happen to him. An Honored American Veteran who served our country in Wars, and worked in Washington in the Intelligence of the Pentagon. He passed away just a few weeks before the construction was completed. I thought this was one grace, this place, this builder, this haven. I had no clue the nightmare Ryan would deliver in it’s wake. I even called them, sent packages of pictures the defect had resulted in, only to be told that they were so wealthy, with a large team of multi billion dollar Lawyers, that I could just try and see if I could do anything to them. No offers for assistance. Just a corrupt consciousless Home builder, as is in our particular case, and many others who write our website that have had aweful experiences with Ryan Homes looking to use for any help we can offer them. A conglomerate hoarding their riches, their greed for wealth, no conscious reaching for more, turning a deliberate blind eye to the defective homes, and lives left to recover from ruins anyway they could find without their assistance. My home insurance company at the time, said because of the defect in the construction of the home, they had no obligations to intervene, 3 renovations later with no assistance we sit in the aftermath of once a financially secure, debt free life, still sorting through boxes of stuff from a temporary apt we had to rent being so ill being exposed to toxins the defect introduced. We did all of the renovations by ourselves with masks on, no one helped. Now being back in our home, we are in prayer and starting to analyze how to start over, it’s not like we are in our twenties anymore. Negligent Home Builders need to be accountable! I am sure there are some authentic and honest earnest Builders out there, but Ryan can't fit those shoes. It’s reprehensible that they get to live lives of wealth and jett setting, and we are left to unscramble the rubix cube our lives have become from buying a Home from them. Ryan Homes a name you can trust- that’s their slogan- yeah well I did, and my life will never be the same. Our website has details and pics for those interested, just type Ryan Homes into your search engine and you will see our site on our nightmare in recovery. Carmen Wright

Ryan homes is corrupt! They build homes completely wrong and commit fraud by concealing problems with double vapor barriers!

That means mold you can't see growing in your walls!

Please do not do business with this builder, you will regret it.

Thank You Barbara, heart felt.

And Dear Anonymous, I so would love to write a page on your little cotton candy advertisement for Ryan (probably paid), but suffice it to say I won't even bother to waste one more moment of my time since you apparently are not even considerate enough to research this consciousless Builder.

It would be a more honorable use of your time to make yourself aware of facts. I will mention once again, as Proof an Allstate investigative team refused to assist us with any restoration that destroyed my own newly built home, due to the hidden defect which Ryan was informed about. Read our site. I too lived in my new home for a few years, until we out of the blue starting being ill on a regular basis, not having any idea that the hidden Ryan Homes/ NVR defect had evolved into mulitple forms of toxic mold.

I am on medications every single day and we both are still trying to recover our once secure lives. So it's really clever to hide behind a hidden name while you boast. Just remember Dear I started out in similar circumstances as yours are now. Instead of gloating, you would be better served having more inspections.

ryanhomesnightmare.com All facts. Documented letters from Doctor's, television stations.. educate yourself, and always remember being a sweet seemingly passive boaster .. well let's just say, is not always prudent.

Since I am a Christian I will wish You never have to experience the travesties we have had to experience. With Ryanhomes/NVR, after being informed and only receiving threats in return. I wouldn't talk too loudly.

Some Fairytales do not always turn out leaving you with in your pretty cotton candy world. :( :cry :x :x

After reading all of this, I must say I did not have any of these negative experiences. I own two Ryan Homes, and both were built well with minimal issues, and the warranty covered the rest.

My sales agent in Waldorf Maryland was great and walked me through every step of the process.

The project manager even visited my home on his days off. Sorry everyone I do NOT agree :sigh

I couldnt agree more.. The only thing that will hurt this awful company is by folks like us banding together and preventing people from making one of the WORST decisions of their lives..

MOVE ON, find a local reputiable builder and visit those houses, as the owners how their experiance is with that builder and if they are truly happy.. I assure you if you go into any Ryan community and ask the owners their oppinion on the builder you will run as fast as you can out of there.. ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING ONE OF THESE HOMES NEES TO GO ASK CURRENT OWNERS THEIR THOUGHTS ON OWNERSHIP, THEY WILL GLADLY WELCOME YOU IN AND TELL YOU TO RUN!!!! In the 60 homes built here in our community all of them have at least 1-2 major issues,from basemant leaks to having the entire front of the house being torn off and redone..

You will have halfa**ed workers in and out of your home for years..You will need countless days off work to have repairs done and can loose every thing you worked for ...

Save your money... Fine another builder...

Please visit our now even more extensive website! We have over 100 current victim letters posted, from those who have experienced their own travesites with Ryan homes (NVR is their parent company).

We have sent the site and all of it's content to their Board of Directors, to which they refuse to respond to this absolutely insane negligence. Now it is full acknowlegement, and with their deliberate turning a blind eye, well what kind of corporation has any worth that does not at least try and do the right thing and restore what their Builder's created.

Hey Documented evidence folks, that speaks more than their denial and refusing to man up and take responsibility for their over sites and audacity. ryanhomesnightmare.com

Carmen Wright

Ronald Jackson

My husband and I was interested in purchasing a Ryan Home, but after reading the comments, we decided to look further. We also was considering Toll Brothers.

They too, have issues. We will continue to look for an excellent quality home.

God Bless you Carmen and family. God do not like ugly.

My husband and I was interested in purchasing a Ryan Home, bu after reading the comments, we decided to look further. We also was considering Toll Brothers.

They too, have issues.

We will continue to look for an excellent quality home.

God Bless you Carmen and family. God do not like ugly.

:( i am in the process of doing a contract with ryan homes ( was ) after reading this i am going to tear up the contract

I am currently working with a nice sales agent named Justin here in South Jersey. Anyone hear of any problems at any of the Jersey building sites? I have not given a deposit yet and am still working on the floor-plan and price.

Yep, just another in a seemingly long line of unhappy Ryan customers. My wife and I were screwed during the contract phase the same way others were -- told one thing, and something else happens.

Note the clause in the contract (can't remember which item number it is) that basically says "nothing verbal can be held as true". For anyone considering Ryan, I have first a word of advice -- get a lawyer to go over the contract so it isn't so heavily weighted toward the builder, and second -- the salesperson is NOT your friend!

View more comments (13)
Reston, Virginia

PROTECT YOURSELF

check this website and others for information - get all contracts reviewed before signing - check with the neighbors - put all monies into an escrow account when ever possible (even at closing for the "punch list) - HIRE a qualified inspector or inspectors from the START!!(even before moving dirt) get comparison rates/closings cost from others!! the people at Ryan are selling you something - who do you think they look out for the most?? several websites have checklists - get one and follow it. i share my insprction reports and methods with anyone looking to build in our neighborhood. my inspector even interviewed the subs and said no to some!! i am not the expert - so i hired them protect yourself!!
Sumter, South Carolina

Ryan Homes Scammed Us

Ryan homes completely lied to us when we purchased our home. We were told we were getting a pool, fitness center,for a small fee and could opt out. After we purchased our home we find there are no amenities,and if we do not pay for a public golf course they can put a lien on our house. They never gave us all the information,and now we are stuck. Trying to fight this in court is hard, and the sales agents are still lying to people. We cannot sell cause of disclosure and foreclosures are everywhere. I would not buy a home from Ryan again, and BEWARE of false promises, ask questions, get several attorneys to look at your documents. PROTECT Yourself

I purchased a Ryan home and was happy with the outcome of the building, but NVR was a nightmare. Theloan officer i had was a lier and a cheat.

She didnt do all she was suppose to such as lock in my rate when i told her to and there was nothing we could do about it.

If i ever by another Ryan Home i will never deal with NVR, I will simply refuse whatever incentives they are offering. :sigh

Master developer -- whatever! Hindsight's 20/20, and I can pick out the moments when the sales rep either flat out lied or "spun" the actual language about a particular topic, when my wife and I were negotiating the contract.

We haven't yet taken delivery on the house, so I can't speak to the quality of the product -- but beware the contract, and the salesperson "helping" you. Get a lawyer -- no deal is worth the headaches you'll have the rest of the time dealing with Ryan!

I'm an NV homeowner (Ryan's sister company under the NVR umbrella) and I have to agree with Chris that this is most likely a master developer issue and not a Ryan issue. Ryan generally reserves lots from the master developer (rather than acting as a master developer themselves) so they are responsible for building their homes only - not responsible for infrastructure or the common areas.

In our community the master developer is going through a really hard time because of the economy, so they were really slacking on providing us with the amenities that the NV sales staff had promised verbally and on the community website. It obviously doesn't do NV any good to have a bunch of pissed off customers, especially since we are such a good referral source for new home sales in our community - so NV stepped up to the plate and made sure that we got the amenities that we were promised. Sorry to hear that your experience was different!

Do you know who the master developer of your community is?? I would be very interested to know.

I have bought a Ryan Homes and this sounds like a developer issue more so than a Ryan Homes issue. Sales Reps usually only represent what they have been told/promised by someone else.

Usually there is a developer at fault in these situations, because they are responsible for what are called "Common Area Improvements". If those were not installed, then that is on the developer.

:sigh

they did the same thing to us, but we were able to move before the market turned. good luck

View more comments (4)
Reston, Virginia
DO NOT finance through NVR Mortgage. They have been known to alter contracts, and give people the option of signing the *** deals point blank at closing or default on their contract and lose tens of thousands on their non-refundable deposit. In one case, NVR/Ryan homes...

I just locked in a 4.75% interest rate with NVR and they are also giving me a 2,400 credit towards closing. Although I initially did not want to go through NVR just to receive the incentives, I'm glad I finally did. They have been one of the more professional mortgage companies I've worked with.

Henrico, Virginia
Loss
I purchased a Ryan home in 2005. What a major disappointment. The trouble began from day one with the closing. NVR mortgage and Ryan homes are one in the same. Be careful. After construction, my punch list consisted of approx. 100 items to be repaired or finished.(i.e....

We have had a Ryan home for four years and just found out the dishwasher had a crack in it this whole time. Now we need to have 7 feet of our floor taken our and the island is starting to buckle.

Also there is mold and the floor is rotted.

Ryan claims they will not cover anything. This is so sad because I actually met Ed Ryan 20 years ago and I am sure this is not what he had in mind for his companay.

Washington, District Of Columbia
Loss
I hope you are reading this message before you signed the purchase contract. If you are one of the victims, I just want to say I understand you pain. If you are a stubborn victim, I can only say: someone had to told you so. Admit it, if you are considered buying a...

Just so you know Simpson, you should take your own advice. English begins with a capital letter.

Richmond, Virginia
Loss
My husband and I decided to purchase a new townhouse with Ryan homes we were told we would get an interest rate of 5.00% (they had money to buy our rate down to that) so we brought an earnest deposit of $10K and signed the initial paperwork. Come time to do the finance...

Don't buy a Ryan Home!!!! We have had an ongoing issue with an improperly sealed exterior that has been causing water damage!!!

We now have rotten wood, a window where the insulation has warped and a front door frame that is now warped and causing major issues. Instead of stepping up and fixing the problem, the guy who is responsible for our development told me Ryan Homes will do nothing to help and that it is my fault. Even though we caulked the thing EVERY year, the problem continued to persist and we had them come out numerous times to fix, but it never was fixed properly. The independent contractor we brought out to look at this also said that Ryan Homes did not fix this properly.

Very dissapointed in the lack of customer service and the attitude I received. again DO NOT BUY A RYAN HOME!!!!

New York, New York
Loss
Hi my name is Nicole Walker and my husband and i built a home in august of 2007 and everything was great until we started to meet our neighbors and found out we were lied to about what came with our new home. We didnt want white walls and we were told thats all we had...

Sure there are happy Ryan Homes homeowners in Knox, TN. Wisconsin, Illinois and(blocked I.P.

location) No matter that Ryan Homes doesn't build homes in any of these places. I'm sure there are some actual good reviews from real customers on gripe sites.

To think otherwise would require a complete loss of faith in the incredibly *** American consumer. :sigh

Lancaster, Pennsylvania