Show reviews that mention
home house ryan home homes ryan issues people quality water construction
Filter review

Using Refurbished Toilets and Inferior appliances

Been in my Ryan home 4 years; almost immediately the toilets would grow the black ring in the bowl, when we had clogging problem, the plummber stated that the toilets were referbished from the 1980s, really. Now the microwave stopped heating, there was a recall on the dishwasher. When I replaced the microwave, the side was dented in. Paying almost $600,000 for this house you would think that the quality of applicance sand fixtures would be better then this..... Very disappointed in Ryan Homes. There is also mold starting to grow on the base of the door jam in the downstair by the slider; lack of caulking. Now need to replace framing of door.....

YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE AN *** TO BELIEVE THIS REVIEW. REFURBISHED TOILETS?

COME ON. EVERY BUILDER HAS TO PASS A HOME INSPECTION JUST LIKE A RESALE.

I have a home being build by Ryan and have giving them all monies required up front.Ryan has delayed starting construction util now causing us a four month delay costing us a large amount of money in storage and rental.The money we had set aside for upgrades.We were supposed to be moving in at the end of February but now it looks like May.The manager tells me about what it's costing Ryan and the money they have to spend where as we had nothing to do with the delay.We did as we were asked.The delay is caused by permits which Ryan should have goten before taking our money.We have asked them to compensate us for our loss and time with things they are giving other home buyers for free ie granite counter top or ceramic kitchen and morning room floor any way.This would cost them 1/3 of what we are having to spend due to this delay.The manager compared our losses to a billion dollar company's minor problem and thougt that should be enough.

Glenn Dale, Maryland
Loss

Ryan homes poor electrical work

While getting one of our double ovens fixed the GE repairmen found an electrical box behind our appliance with exposed wires and no cover installed. There is evidence of electrical sparking. Our home could have burned down and worse a possible loss of life. We have been trying to get Ryan rep for two days without any response. Never buy a Ryan home!!! This is in addition to fixing nail pops for the entire 9 years we have been in the home, very shoddy sheet rock installation, and subflooring in multiple rooms that had to be repaired. Very little carpentry work is plumb or level and just about every door had to be reworked. Never buy a Ryan home!!!
Washington, District Of Columbia
Ryan Homes Installation

Ryan Homes and poor workmanship

I have owned a Ryan Home for 8 years in PA. and for the first 6 our bay window leaked. Ryan opened up the ceiling to locate the leak which took several winter months. Our dining room could not be used for the holidays and our heating bill was unbelievable. Furniture was ruined in the process and we lost family photo's. Also, we have has a leak where the frame meets the poured concrete basement every time it rains heavily. The leak is under the front door and Ryan customer service has stated it is my fault and will have nothing to do with the problem. I have maintenanced the front door and step but the leak still persists. Our upgraded rugs (beige) have lumps and dirty where they carpet meets the walls - also my fault. We have tried to have them cleaned but the black discoloration can not be removed by steam cleaning and the rugs need to be replaced. There too numerous other defects to list that they would not correct. We have photos of all the issues to prove the poor construction and workmanship by it sub-contractors. Once Ryan get your money they then want nothing to do with you !! We would never recommend a Ryan Home or NVR to anyone.....

The leak in my bay window has been 'fixed' and no further leaking into my dining room has occured,thankfully.

Now I have a leak in my basement at the interface of the concrete foundation and wood frame. I located a gap where the frame and garage come together - easy fix with perimeter spray foam. However I have a continuing leak that appears to originate at the front door. The front door and frame has been inspected thoroughly and we can not find where, when it rains, water is making it way into my basement (path of least resistance). Ryan claims it is 'MY fault' due to improper maintanance ?! My response is poor workmanship by the fly by night contractors Ryan uses to build my home.

There is no resolution and I need to have a structural engineer inspect the framing to determine possible resolution at my cost. :(

My bay windowed leaked (10 Gallons) during the recent storm. It leaked last year also. Last year they removed the brick sill above and found the flashing was wrong, and also the flashing at the bay window roof was installed wrong.

This time around, I asked to see there construction drawings. It appears a very important section of horizontal flashing, that should be across the top of the bay window is missing.

I will say thus far every concern we have had has been addressed. So I am not going to complain yet. That may be because I know what to look for when problems start and its difficult for them to argue when they realize you have some knowledge and can present a reasonable argument.

Take a look at your bay window, do you see weep holes every 16 inches across the top about one coarse up? If not, that's your problem. Note also, this should be covered by your 10 year warranty, don't let them tell you otherwise.

Chantilly, Virginia

Ryan Homes - Trouble

We purchased a Ryan Home about 5-6 years ago for almost around $500,000. This home started having problems about 2 years later, of course after the warranty had expired. It has a leak in the basement and one of the large windows in the basement is leaking. This should not happen after this amount of time. I'm not happy and would never purchase one of their homes again!!!! In addition, parts of the decorative siding has come off in a wind storm, the front door stairs are cracking, the land scaping is cheap and the sods terrible.
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

Ryan Homes Poor Quality

We bought a home 5 years ago to the day and we had a finished basement, I went downstairs and it smelled like mildew, I then noticed the carpet was wet. I took the carpet up and the pad as well was soak and wet. I then noticed the baseboard was showing mold on it i removed a portion of the drywall and insulation and there was mold growing on it. It was obvious that this had been occurring. There is a crack that runs from the top of the foundation to the bottom and a clear sign of water coming in. I spoke to Ryan homes and they stated since I was out of the 1 year warranty that there was nothing that they could do. We paid over 300k for our home and now i am having to have a contractor come out and excavate the outside of my house to fix the problem. When i spoke to the project manager for our area he stated that he has a ryan home and his wall cracked as well. The quality of there products is garbage. We will be moving soon. I will tell everyone not to buy a ryan home.

I purchased a Ryan home in Bowie MD and I am here to tell you that it's *** down here also. I also call them and they say "your out of the 1 year, this is who you need to call".

They ONLY want to take your money and that's it. If they were ANY type of company, they would give you a 3 year warranty on ALL products. They know d**M well that after 1 year the house is still settling and you will see nail pops and such.. Why come out after a year when you MIGHT not see anything?

I have steps that feels like people will fall through them, nail pops all through my house, a crack in the ceiling that they fixed that has come back (they still won't fix that even though they supposedly did)...

HORRIBLE company, Management, service people, etc... If I wasn't concerned with my credit I would let this *** default.

As a former employee of Ryan Homes and former resident in Ohio in a Ryan Home, I tell people all the time - NEVER buy a Ryan Home in Ohio! The management out there cares about the bottom line and never the customer.

We lived in a great home for 21 years built by Ryan in Frederick, Maryland - best home we ever had! I should have never accepted the promotion and relocation to Ohio.

So glad to be back East after 10 years in a quality home built by a private contractor! Maybe it's the subcontractors out there as well who are at fault!

This should be covered by the 10 year warranty, but the default on claims is DENIED. Maybe people who have not had mold from water intrusion directly related to poor construction quality don't understand how severe this issue is. I've seen it destroy many homes, mine included, while I know most people quietly cover it up and leave ASAP.

Mold problems are not just urban legends, so don't expose yourself to it long term only to find out you have perm health damage the anti-liability people try to sell you "Never happens." We learned the hard way.

This is one of the most profitable (and loved by shareholders/NVR inc)volume builders around. But just common sense should caution people about the quality of a high volume built home driven by shareholder profits above all.

Any cost cutting measure is big for the top, and Ryan Homes doesn't miss a trick when it comes to going on the cheap or cutting a corner. Unfortunately, these are normal and tolerated consequences. It can ruin lives for a what seems like forever, as if life doesn't have enough problems without your dream home becoming the biggest.

I hope having the courage to speak up brings the support you need to move past this. Most people have no idea how ruthless this company is when it comes to protecting it's profits, but just maybe doing the right thing here will be the way that looks best for them as they take another look at your issues. Good luck.

View more comments (2)
Cleveland, Ohio
$20000
My experience with the building of my Ryan Home has been a great one; all people on this side of their business are very accommodating and knowledgeable. They have gone out of their way to make sure that I, the customer, is satisfied and pleased. On the other hand,...

NVR won't keep your mortgage. You only have to deal with their idiocy at the outset.

They aren't mortgage HOLDERS, they are just the company that holds it at the beginning. Mine was sold to Countrywide (sigh) within three months.

Tampa, Florida

Ryan Homes Rips off All Customers

We were buying a Ryan home in Virginia at a complex called Virginia Manner and learned that we were lied to by our sales associate and the loan officer they assigned us to, you have to use their mortgage company to buy one of their homes, attempted to steal our second deposit and the mortgage rebate on our points. I spoke with the regional manager and V.P of operations who both not only did not apologize but told us they could do what ever they want. I plan to press charges against their loan officer and sales associate and we are still waiting to get our deposit back. They tell us we need to sign a release form, but both the manager and V.P have refused to provide it. Bottom line is Ryan Homes and NVR, along with their mortgage side NVR Mortgage are liars and thieves. If you decide to buy a home from them make sure you request to have your own building inspector and settlement/title company finalize the paperwork and see how quickly they tell you that maybe they can't meat your expectations. Honest hard working Americans should not have to deal with home sales companies like Ryan/NVR that are simply in business to rip people off. I wonder if their families know the crooks they are and if they can sleep at night.

Might be best not to say they rip off all buyers, because most buyers will say that isn't true, and Ryan Homes will use that contention to summarily dismiss the entire complaint as untrue. Did they lie to you? I have no doubt they did, as I've heard and witnessed it many times. It’s not really illegal for them to lie to you in most cases.

Things are spelled out in the contract, that is true. If all people really did read and understand them, they'd know they're mostly signing a waiver that allows Ryan homes and NVR to do pretty much whatever they want, and the buyer has most of the real obligations. These contracts aren't so much buyer agreements, they're decrees placed upon the buyer. Take one to a real estate attorney, if you have any doubts about this. People will still sign them because Ryan Homes is big, so they must be safe? That thinking ruined us, into being stuck with Ryan Homes nightmare.

So that’s why you got no apology and the comment "they could do whatever they want." Once you've signed you may get the feeling you're a valued customer or just a pawn in their profit scheme, as in your case. In either experience, both are still accurate descriptions of most any Ryan Homes buyer. Sure they want you happy, but their bottom lines require a whole lot of margin in some not so good to cut areas, and woe to the buyer who get’s in their way of that for any reason, as you are trying.

The buyer’s ignorance is Ryan Homes best friend. They can and will make you feel fully informed, but just to their specifications and benefit. This is why they don't build bad homes, (their belief) they just have a few bad buyers. This is from an almost entirely Ryan Homes trained staff that comes from soulless corporate manager types who demand employees sell it fast, build it fast, and ‘we don't care how you do it’ mentality. Their bottom feeder employees can go find a paycheck somewhere else if they don't fit the mold.

So it’s not fair to say they ripoff everyone just because you were lied to. If they can sell fresh ground road kill, and the customer is convinced it’s fresh ground grade A Angus beef, whose to say they're ripped off? Of course if people complain too much about the bad parts, as you may be doing here, you could get your deposit back. Some do it this way. Some got half. Some walked with nothing and are just thankful Ryan Homes is out of their life. As all those others, be thankful you're mostly out of the Ryan Homes scheme, as it could be much worse, but still hang in there on getting the deposit back. The rule of thumb on this is in practice, there isn't one.

@PissedConsumer541839

Ron,

You are a fool! I have read your Ryan Homes blog and you deserve to be sued for every penny you have.

Your site slams Ryan Homes yet everyone from state attorney offices to local TV thinks you are an arrogant *** and clearly wrong, as posted by the relies on your website. *** the local 12 response basically called you out for your attitude. You will jump on every site speaking about Ryan Homes and belittle the company.

As a self proclaimed expert of Ryan Homes, you need to learn how business works. I know you are an obvious democrat based on your site saying thank god Bush is out of office but, stop making people who work and try to get ahead pay for the ignorant such as yourself.

What was the issue that you needed to go to a different loan company. Everything is pretty well spelled out in the sales agreement.

View more comments (2)
Seoul, Seoul

Love my ryan home, will use again

I've been in a ryan home for 5 years, and nothing has been wrong with it. I typically do a home inspection every couple years just to make sure there are no problems starting to occur, and there's been nothing. House itself is about 12 years old. EVERY home builder is going to have lemons. And part of why people have problems is because THEY (the homeowners) don't take care of their home. I will, and am in the process of, having them construct a new home for me. They build great homes with a 10 year warranty.

Make sure you do a follow up with up on your new Ryan home build.....clown!!!!! You may have got lucky one time but best believe they will *** eventually....

Have to agree with the above reviewer. We live in Avon Ohio and are in our 12th year in a Waverly model we built.

Any problem we've had they have gone above and beyond. Maybe regions have better/worse employees as well as different issues. Different cities also have different building codes which also plays into quality. Lets face it.

Ryan is the Saturn of Home Builders.

Nothing super high end but not the bottom of the Harrell. It's amazing how many people build a home and don't think that it should need any upkeep to keep it water tight, cold resistant, etc.

Maybe they had our problems, but never figured it out. Carbon Monoxide and toxic mold can really mess up one's ability to be discerning.

For all we know they're real buyers, maybe obliviously drooling on their keyboard when typing this.

And oblivious to the fact they're doing a review on a gripe site with the intent to belittle and insult real victims.

Everyone I know will never ever buy another Ryan Home. If you are a true owner, then consider yourself one of the lucky ones, reversal of getting a lemon, is getting a good Ryan Home.

View more comments (3)
Albany, New York
the house is pretty and hopefully structurally sound...... my biggest regret w/this purchase is that we have had to replace everything in side this house to include bathroom fixtures, door knobs, wood trim, light fixtures, mailbox flags, hard wood floor boards, door...

I have a site dedicated to do what you said, which is making sure their time will come for doing this stuff so long. Maybe there isn't just one truth that described them, but cheap would be what I'd say if I had to use only one word.

Been exposing this over ten years through a dedicated site. You can add your comments there too and more than double your exposure.

The site is currently called The Truth About Ryan Homes and is normally #2 when doing a generic Google search on Ryan Homes. They are constantly trying to push Pissed Consumer off the top search pages, along with my site to cover up who they really are.

Richmond, Virginia

Do not buy a Ryan Home

I purchase a Ryan Home 10yrs ago everything looked good except for light switch were not center on the walls a lot or over look things that you could not change because they put the house up so fast it was to late.then a year later the pipes started cracking .they put recall piping in the whole house.This house had problems for the next 2yrs.my kitchen and laundry room ceiling had fell in.the house had problems from top to bottom.They did not want to repair anything.Then I found out my neighbors were having the same problem and worst because some had basements.So I recommend not buying one of these home they do not care.

We bought a Ryan Home 7 years ago, the quality is not there and for the price they charge it is not worth it. The company doesn't care about building quality homes all they care is to make money out of you. We had a lot of problems that needed to be fixed at our expense because they never care to address the issues of their faulty and cheap craftsmanship.

#522009

Hi - we'd like to speak to you concerning your Ryan Home and assist in any way that we can. Please email your contact information, including home address to us at crelations@***.com and we'll have a customer service manager contact you.

Clover, South Carolina

Ryan Homes

The quality of my home is terrible. Every product in the home is bought to look good but reduce costs for them. The buyer is who pays in the long run. Their homes are well polished tirds. They install low quality windows, split jamb doors, cheap trim, highest upgrades to floors are of average grade, 24" centers on stud walls, and they have outside engineers approve plans that are suspect. They pay someone for an energy star inspection they brag about that any average builder would get and the sales pitch is good. Very nice employees but they are too young to understand the big picture of this ruthless national homebuilder. It is a bad decision to buy. I will never again.

:sigh My Ryan home is 5 years and 7 months old. The company that was supposed to come out and fix nail pops never did - they switched the policy on us. I notice a lot of plain old shoddy work. Walls that have been badly patched during construction (including a sheet of plywood sized patch in the living room ceiling), walls that aren't straight....

Our sump pump doesn't have a check valve (thought that was code?), and originally emptied out right against the foundation. Of course, it developed a crack that had to be repaired, and RH relocated the exit drain. Now, the entire line is sinking, and the exit flap is about an inch below ground level.

The tin roof over the bay window was never sealed at the overlaps, and when there is rain and wind too, it forces water in.

The siding is bowed, like they cut the piece too long and then tried to shove in into place anyway.

The windows are cheap, and the holes where the screen pins are supposed to go in don't line up. Most of the screens have been forced into place. If my HOA Nazies didn't require it, I'd remove them.

Sod was just dropped into place in the yard, the ground was never leveled or soil added below it. And so much waste! I watched them throwing away PALLETS of sod that were left over from other homes being built.

The back portion of my lot is some sort of environmentally protected area, we aren't supposed to build there or anything. But I had to clean an awful lot of builder trash out of there, and even this many years later, still have not gotten up all the broken glass from workers lunches. (I know this was why, as I witnessed them throwing their lunch trash into the yard while I was there measuring for blinds during construction)

My driveway developed a badly sunken spot, and they fixed that, but their equipment caused a mess in the lawn next to the driveway...and whatever they used to resod there is not the same grass as the rest of it. I have a patch of odd colored grass and burrs.

My AC and furnace can't keep up. We have had to keep the master bedroom door closed all the time to keep in the heat or cold. When the wind blows, the upstairs can be as much as 15 degrees hotter or cooler than the room the thermostat is in. We had someone from RH check this out, but he did not find a temperature difference. We used a thermal imager on our own and confirmed the temperature difference. Even with insulating and drywalling the garage, it doesn't help. I would guess the outer walls are not insulated, as the bonus room on the other end of the hall that also has two outside walls to it, is frigid or boiling as well.

After 14 months, the stairs to the basement started squeaking. It's only gotten worse.

The only reason I bought a Ryan Home was because they were the only ones with homes beng built at the time, that would be ready to move into when we neede to be out of the other place. I don't recommend them.

Realtors often get upset when the buyer goes ahead and purchases a newly constructed home without them. They don't want to miss out on the sales commission.

Instead of focusing on the task at hand, which is to sell the client's current home, they are bent out of shape because they feel they "missed out" on the commission of the new home.

Some realtors need to grow up and worry about the task at hand.

Im a Realtor and had a buyer venture into a R.H. on her own and ended up signing a contract.

Yeah, they sucked her in.

I fear that she has made a huge mistake and will understand in about 5 years when stuff starts to fall apart. :(

Hi *** Robertson - we are sorry to hear your experience has been less than satisfactory. We'd like the opportunity to speak to you about your concerns. Please send us your contact information and home address to crelations@***.com and we'll have a customer service representative contact you.

View more comments (3)
Princeton, New Jersey

Ryan Homes. STAY AWAY.

1. Cheap parts everywhere. I was told by people who worked for Ryan and people who work at Lowe's and HomeDepot. 2. Sloppy work 3. Corners cut everywhere 4. Rude customer service 5. Every week I see a service truck in somebody's drive way to fix something. 6. Water has leaked into our basement, seal on toilets broke, poor insulation, sloppy dry wall install, water coming out of our electrical panel, dryer connection shaped like a football. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! The money they save with cheap parts and labor end up costing the homeowner dearly..... This is just my house. The couple next door have totally different issues.
Annapolis, Maryland

Ryan homes promises quality - embarrassing experience

I started as a consumer looking to build or buy a Ryan home as they were rated higher than Maronda in out area. All of my initial contact with the company was pleasing. Great customer service and a promise of quality assurance on the website and in person. The great experience ended once we decided on the purchase of a Ryan home built less than 2 years ago. We had a home inspector come to the home and he pointed out a few issues with the home that would need addressed that should not have passed building inspection because they were not to code. Before closing on the house, I tried to contact Ryan to have these addressed. I was told that I was not the homeowner and so they could not work with me on the issues (understandable). We were working with a seller that was out of town very often and rather than inconvenience him, we opted to close on the home and deal with Ryan directly as we read promises of how they guarantee the quality of their homes and know 2 close friends and family members that spoke of how easy it was to get Ryan out to fix any issues that had been encountered (and there were many). After closing, I reached out to Ryan via email on the website. I was contacted by a customer service employee and first told that warranties are not transferable. The website clearly states that it is. I asked for a supervisor and days later I was called and told that yes, it's transferable but am now out of the warrantee period. I stated that the issues are due to the original construction of the home and they create an unsafe home as one major issue is the step into the garage. The supervisor finally agreed to have a project manager contact me after a heated discussion. The project manager called and again refused. To want to correct the issues. After further explanation, he set an appointment, only to not show up for it. Yes, I took off work specifically to be available at his convenience. I called and left a message for a return call which I never received. It's like pulling teeth to get issues fixed that should never exist in the first place. The promise of quality means nothing once they have your money. I have talked with our neighbors and every single one is dissatisfied with their home. Many have had Ryan return multiple times to repair the same issues. Most related to the quality of their lawn which was promised and barely exists. I recommend if you deal with this company, have an attorney in your back pocket cause you may need it to get issues addressed (and there will be issues).

It's a shame you didn't have a lawyer. You should have gotten the seller to fix everything before buying, as you had a contract with the seller.

You had no contractual privity with Ryan. An alternate would be tying in a guarantee from Seller that the warranty wouldntransferborntheybwould fix; but always best to have the repairs done PRE-closing. Go ahead and "inconvenience" the seller; if they want to make the sale, they'll hire a local contractor. Water under the bridge, I know ...

Good luck.

Perhaps you can play the PR card, call your local news station's Action Line, etc. thanks for sharing your story!

The ryan homes is not bad at all we just bought a house it is great ww had a n expector come and there wore no issuise :)

Mars, Pennsylvania
Loss

Ryan Homes, contract not explained completely.

Update by user Aug 08, 2012

Ryan homes has worked with me to correct the problems. They made monetary corrections to settle omplaints.

They made thing right in the end. Smaller problems are being taken care of now.

Original review posted by user May 18, 2012
Purchased new home from Ryan. LOOKED OVER PURCHASE AGREEMENT. You should always have someone explain site plan to you. My home is different from the others. I could not read the site plan. ALWAYS read and ask for explaination for each document. Read each page carefully.m You may end up this a home/house you didn't expect. ALSO, the sample home that I saw and the brochure for the new home were different. Not the same houses. BE SURE TO READ CAREFULLY: (a),(b) and (c) on the Delaware Purchase Agreement. PAGE 1 of 13. Had someone explained the site plan to me I would have purchased another home. JUST BE CAREFUL.
ID
#319275 Review #319275 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Tampa, Florida

Ryan Homes no basement door only an escape window

I, received a brochure on a house for adults 55+ at the Ryan Homes Legacy Signature Club at Manning Village Accokeek Maryland. The brochure show a entrance door in the basement rear wall. I visited the model and the basement door was replaced with an escape window. I asked the sales person why was the door replaced with a cheap escape window, she said that the elevation dictates the door vs the escape window. I asked her which of the home sites will have a door and she said that all of the sites will have escape windows. Ryan homes should not advertise the homes for adults 55+ when the basement egress do not meet the Building Codes for Amercian with Disabilities Act. I really like the house style but my decision not to buy is that I have limited use of my hands and it would be very difficult for me if i had to exit the basement by the egress window and climb a ladder to the surface.

U sound like a re-tard